Welcome back to another installment of “Last Week in Geekdom” where I comb the internet for all the news you need to know so you don’t have to. It’s been a busy week, but I managed to get an extra post up last week, so if you haven’t seen my most recent Waxing Philosophical, I would suggest giving it a look. As for news items for last week: Japan Cartoonists Association has voiced some support and issues with Japan’s changes to their copyright code; Captain Marvel has been getting review bombed on Rotten Tomatoes; and manga sees a good year sales wise with Viz Media. Be sure to check out the articles and videos I’ve linked below, and as always, have a great Sunday!
Top Anime and Manga News
Viz Media’s Director of Sales and Marketing Kevin Hamric points to a really strong 2018 in manga sales for their company and evidence that 2019 will be just as strong. Titles like My Hero Academia and Junji Ito’s horror manga are outperforming in the market, helping manga sales grow 5.37% last year.
Japan Cartoonists Association has formally responded to actions by the Japanese government to reform their copyright laws. They have listed three improvements they would like made to these laws as well as expressed concerns for fan activities and freedom of expression.
Funimation is moving to a tiered subscription system starting April 10th. Those already subscribed will be moved to a reduced price Premium Plus tier subscription which adds features such as downloading episodes and access to members-only events.
A Japan Animation Creators Association survey reveals that young people ages 20 to 24 working in the industry are still severely underpaid while conditions improve for older employees. The mean average yearly income for 20-24 year olds is revealed to be jus $14,000 (1,550,000 Yen).
- Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure Season 1 coming to Netflix March 8th
- Chihayafuru Season 3 delayed until October
- Are You Lost? getting anime adaptation
- Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba premieres on April 6th
- Kenja no Mago to debut April 10th
- Eldo Yoshimizu’s Ryuko to be released in the US July 9th
- Shin Takahashi launching new manga I’ve Come to Cut Your Hair
Top Comics News
The Captain Marvel movie faced a lot of backlash the last couple weeks with angry that there was another female superhero movie taking to Rotten Tomatoes to review bomb the movie before release. Rotten Tomatoes has responded by disabling all pre-release reviews on its platform for every movie.
Heidi MacDonald at the Comics Beat clears up some misinformation about the ComicsPro conference, specifically announcements made by DC publisher Dan Didio about the Walmart line of comics. Leaks from the conference, which is closed to press, spread some inaccurate information, but Didio has taken to Facebook to clear up these misconceptions.
Peter Hogan and Steve Parkhouse’s comic Resident Alien from Dark Horse has been picked up by SyFy for a TV series. The story involves alien turned small-town doctor who must hid his secret mission on earth. Alan Tudyk has been picked up to play the main character.
Featured Articles and Interviews
- Rappler sits down with Eisner Award Winning comic book writer Marjorie Lui on her life and struggles becoming a writer and breaking into the comic book scene and how she came up with the concept for Monstress.
- Eisner Award Winning comic creator Nate Powell gives us his take on the adoption of the Punisher logo by military and police personnel as it relates to the history of military culture.
- The Off Panel podcast sits down with Random House Graphics Publishing Director Gina Gagliano and how she went from an anthropology major in college to a high-profile position in a new comics imprint.
- Anime Feminist looks at Go for it Nakamura and how its story and characters break traditional yaoi/BL tropes, opening up the BL genre to a wider audience.
- Get in the Robot has put together a starter pack for Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure for anime fans who want to get into the series but feel daunted.
- The Pedantic Romantic discusses the relationship between Mob Psycho 100 and Evangelion in how a generation of adults have failed the next generation of children and how its okay to run away.
- Gigguk jumps into the isekai genre and how it has grown over the years and how Rising of the Shield Hero is showing us how the genre is far from dead.
Featured WordPress Posts
- Blautoothdmand talks Alita Battle Angel and how bodies are constructed and represented in the series and more recently, the movie adaptation.
- All Hail Haruhi discusses the major problem with anime reaching a wider audience, curation, and how lack of curation has affected public perception of anime.
~~Thanks for Reading!~~
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress for all Bloom Reviews content updates and news!
If you like what I do, consider supporting me on Ko-fi.