Welcome back to another installment of “Last Week in Geekdom” where I comb the internet for all the news you need to know so you don’t have to. I realize I haven’t been keeping to my schedule of posts the last couple weeks, but I’m planning big things for the future. If you haven’t checked out my blog update post, please do so! I could really use your help. Also, I was just interviewed over on LitaKino’s blog, so be sure to stop by there and show her some love. In this week’s news: anime music producer Akihiro Tomita is predicting a big change for anime opening and endings; more anime debut dates are announced for the Fall and Winter season; and controversy is brewing at Marvel after it cancels their unpublished series Vision. Be sure to also check out my new feature sections Twitter Threads and Interviews, there’s some great stuff in there. As always, have a great Sunday!
Anime and Manga News
- Anime music producer Akihiro Tomita predicts large scale changes to the length of anime openings and endings with the rise in binging and streaming platforms.
- Mamoru Hosoda’s animated film Mirai will be coming to US theaters starting November 29th with both subbed and dubbed versions.
- Pop Team Epic will be getting an April 1st TV special.
- The Back to the Future manga adaptation by One Punch Man’s Yuusuke Murata has been cancelled due to rights issues.
- Monster Musume manga has been put on hiatus due to the mangaka’s health.
- The anime adaptation of Senran Kagura Shinovi Master has revealed an October 12th premiere date.
- Crunchyroll has added Aria the Origination and Emma to its catalog.
- Shirobako creators announce a new original anime Kotobuki – The Wasteland Squadron that will be premiering in January 2019.
- Kimi ni Todoke’s second spin-off chapter is premiering next month.
- Toonami is expanding by one more hour with the addition of Boruto to its line-up.
- Silent comedy manga Joshi Kausei will be getting an anime adaptation in 2019.
- Too Kyo Games and Studio Pierrot have announced they will be collaborating on a new anime.
- Former Kemono Friends director Tatsuki has apparently not been receiving script royalties from Kadokawa.
- My Neighbor Totoro becomes the first Ghibli movie to get a theatrical release in China.
- MFKZ is coming to US theaters next month, October 11th and 16th.
- Dark Horse Comics has announced they will be publishing a hardcover book featuring James Stokoe art and some of his previously unpublished comics.
- Marvel Comics has announced it is cancelling the Vision comic series before any issues have been published.
- Spiderman’s Miles Morales returns in a new series from Marvel Comics.
- ICv2 has the August 2018 BookScan rankings of manga, superhero comics, and graphic novel top 20 lists.
- DC Comics is adding more titles to their exclusive Walmart line including Flash and Swamp Thing.
- Amazon’s Comixology will be sponsoring the programming at the upcoming Small Press Expo in Bethesda, MD
- Comics author Chelsea Cain talks with EW about Marvel’s cancellation of her comic The Vision and what it says about freelancing in the industry as a whole.
- The Washington Post talks Comicsgate and how the movement isn’t protecting free speech as it claims.
- The Anime Feminist takes a look at The Promised Neverland and how it depicts gender roles and uses its story as a commentary on real-world social problems.
- Newsarama talks with Champions writer Jim Zub about why he chose to focus on gun violence in schools in issue 24 of the series.
- Margaret Atwood discusses her new comic War Bears and its ability to simultaneously tell the story of the post WWII era Canadian comics industry as well as a new female superhero.
Featured Twitter Threads
- @Rachel_Thorn_en shares a little talked about reason for why the American comic book industry was dealt a death blow in the 1950s.
- @redimine talks Banana Fish in her thread about the kinds of reactions she’s seen from fans of the series and the history of the manga and mangaka.
- @Good_Haro discusses the differences and historical connotations of the terms yaoi and boys love.
- @shallowbrigade (Kim O’Connor) talks Amazon’s encroachment on the indi comics market and what that could mean for the industry.
- The Cartoon Cipher combines review and industry analysis in his video on the new anime licensing company Kuma Holdings.
- ComicTropes takes a look at distribution in comics, how it works, what companies are involved, and how it has affected the comic industry as a whole.
Featured WordPress Post
- Irina talks editors in her post “Unsung Geniuses”, giving light to the work editors do behind the scenes to improve content in all mediums.
~~Thanks for Reading!~~
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress for all Bloom Reviews content updates and news!