Welcome back to another installment of “Last Week in Geekdom” where I comb the internet for news and interesting bits so you don’t have to. There’s quite a lot of news on the anime/manga front today with some important announcements of anime adaptations and returning manga series. I was only able to find one Youtube video for y’all this time (as a sidenote, let me know your favorite anime/manga/comic Youtubers in the comics), but I have included two WordPress features this time around. I hope you all enjoy, and as always let me know if I’ve missed anything!
Anime and Manga News
- The anime adaptation of “Vinland Saga” has been confirmed.
- Ranjou Miyake’s manga series “Pet” will be receiving a TV anime adaptation. It will be produced by Geno Studio.
- A TV anime adaptation of Mado Nozaki’s suspense novel “Babylon” has been announced.
- AnimEigo launched its Kickstarter campaign for the Gunsmith Cats anime yesterday.
- “Muhyo & Roji’s Bureau of Supernatural Investigation” Gets TV Anime Treatment This Summer
- The “Made in Abyss” anime series will be receiving two compilation films this Winter. A new “episode” is also currently in production. The teaser visual was revealed yesterday.
- Popular Japanese shoujo magazine Cheese! opens an art exhibit in Tokyo of 12 top mangaka ending March 31st.
- Here’s a list of North American Anime and Manga Releases for March 18-24.
- “My Hero Academia: The Movie – The Two Heroes” will release on August 3rd 2018. Tagline reads: “Who Is Your Hero” with a prime All Might featured.
- The first trailer for the “Natsume’s Book of Friends” movie is up. The film will premiere in Japan on September 29th.
- Boy’s Love series “Dakaretai Otoko 1-i ni Odosarete Imasu” (The Most Huggable Man Has Threatened Me) gets anime adaptation this year.
- Popular manga “DN Angel” returns to magazine serialization with more details being announced later. This is after debuting in 1997 and returning from a hiatus in 2008, but this new run may finally conclude the story.
- Seven Seas picks up “The Bride was a Boy” manga for North American release.
- The new “FLCL” season will premiere on Adult Swim on June 2nd.
- Dynamite is partnering with Topps to bring a line of “Mars Attacks” comic books and graphic novels.
- Eisner-nominated writer Christopher Sebela (High Crimes, Heartthrob, We(l)come Back), artist Joshua Hixson (The Black Woods), and letterer Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou (Felix & Macabber) team up for the all-new revenge thriller SHANGHAI RED, coming this June from Image Comics.
- The first ever Excellence in Graphic Literature Awards are announced.
- Marvel’s original X-Force team returns in June’s “Cable” #158.
- RICANSTRUCTION, a new Puerto Rican recovery benefit anthology teams up La Borinqueña and Wonder Woman
- Charlie’s Angels comes to comics in June with John Layman and Joe Eisma.
- Marvel is bringing back X-Men star Dazzler with Eisner-nominated writer Magdalene Visaggio and art by Laura Braga.
- FX cancels plans for the Deadpool animated series due to creative differences with writer Donald Glover.
- Buzzfeed News lays out the current issues and harassment campaigns that have been happening under the umbrella of #Comicsgate.
- ICv2 columnist Rob Salkowitz discusses the advantages and disadvantages of digital comics in the wake of Marvel’s 99 cent deals on Comixology.
- Gigguk takes us through the history of mecha anime including why it lost its popularity over the years.
Featured WordPress Posts
- The Manga Therapy blog explores why otaku fandom can seem toxic and their experiences with interacting and trying to find a place in fandom culture.
- Atelier Emily looks at the similarities between “Violet Evergarden” and “A Place Further than the Universe” in how they use letters/messages to create emotional moments of storytelling.
If you want your blog post featured in this section, please let me know before next Sunday by way of Twitter, Facebook, or my contact page.
~~Thanks for Reading!~~
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook, and WordPress for all your Bloom Reviews content updates and news!